Wednesday 25 August 2010

Preparing for a workshop


I’ll be going on a little road trip today to Hå Gamle Prestegård about an hour south of Stavanger. I have been there several times before enjoying the art and the scenery, but this time is different. I’ll be taking part in a workshop for the international art project “Desconocida Unknown Ukjent” by the Norwegian artist Lise Bjørne Linnert. The project puts the spotlight on trafficking, violation and murders of women through embroidery.

Since the beginning in 2006 2200 people all over the world have participated and more than 4000 patches have been embroidered. The project has been exhibited at museums and galleries in Norway and abroad. You can read more about the project at Lise’s blog.

I’m sure it will be heartbreaking working on someone’s name knowing they are missing or dead, but I really want to do this. As a woman and mother I find it horrifying how many women who are raped or murdered or just simply disappear.

I’ll let you know how it went as soon as I have dried my tears.

7 comments:

  1. What a wonderful thing you are doing, anything that raises awareness of the horrible things that happen to women the world over. xox Corrine

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a very sad but worthwhile thing to do.....remembering them as people and not just a statistic - they deserve that. Kudos to you....piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could join you. This project sounds incredible! I look forward to photos, as always. You are doing some really exciting things lately!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sad but such a worthwhile thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes we need that visual reminder that tragedies can be avoided, and that it is individuals and real people who are hurt by them. It reminds me of the Aids quilt project many years ago. Good luck, and remember the needle is, in this case, your sword.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that sounds like a wonderful workshop. I know you will meet lots of great people. Very worthwhile way to spend some time. I am proud of you.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.