Wednesday 19 January 2011

Make A Butterfly

Create a butterfly or any other shape from scraps and a piece of felt. This is a fun and quick project.



What you’ll need
Fabric and/or yarn scraps

Piece of felt



And what you’ll do
Start with a piece of felt cut to the size you want your finished project to be. Fold the felt in half and pin the layers together. Free form cut the outline of a butterfly using scissors,

like this simple butterfly shape.



Add pieces of fabric and/or pieces of yarn on top. Make it as symmetric as you like.

Layer a piece of tulle on top (I have used a silvery grey tulle here) and pin it down through all layers.

Stitch around the edges and the body of the butterfly and free motion quilt the wings. I have used a black thread to add texture.

Cut away excess tulle and embellish it with beads or buttons if you like.



Add a paper clip, yarn or ribbon for hanging and your butterfly is ready to test its wings.

2 comments:

  1. What a marvelous idea. I teach 6th grade and I will definitely be using this method with my students as we read one of our novels that talks about butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so beautiful! My girls would love doing this with me and my mother loves butterflies! Looks like the perfect summer project! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.