Sunday 15 July 2012

Lag på lag

After a month or so in the works (brainstorming, shopping and editing too many ideas included) I am happy to present my new mixed media quilting class “Lag på lag” (layer upon layer) which I first will be teaching in Trondheim October 12-14. Trondheim Quiltelag is hosting a weekend filled with classes and fun, and it’s open to everyone, so please, do contact them if you want to be part of the fun.

In this class we’ll be playing with different kinds of transparent materials, building our projects one layer at the time. We’ll be working with sheers, papers, yarn, and different kinds of fibers – painting pictures without paint or brushes, only using scissors and the sewing machine. Our main focus is on techniques, materials and possibilities, so most of the quilting itself and finishing will be done at home. My collection of special fibers will be available as kits for those who want a head start.

The class is in 2 parts which can be taken together or separately.

Module 1 (Friday + Saturday)
Warming up playing with different kinds of fibers and looking at how they work together





and building pictures/backgrounds using fibers. You can choose whichever colour scheme you’d like, but these three colour schemes will be available as kits: Fall


Winter


Spring


Module 2 (Sunday)
Creating simple shapes like trees, houses and clouds which can be attached to a background




Using two different techniques to build shapes like trees/flowers and houses directly onto a background.








Sorry about the wind and a few loose threads in some of the pictures. A detailed list of what is needed for each module will be emailed to the students a few weeks before the class.You will find a (Norwegian) presentation of the class uploaded here.

This technique, which I call “painting with fiber”, has been in progress for years – in my mind, while taking a painting class 3 years ago, and while dipping my toes into the waters of mixed media play. It has been so exciting to finally see the results and that they turned out everything I imagined and then some. I have a quite a few more ideas I want to try out and a few huge boxes of stuff to make into kits. I will post everything related to this class under the label “Lag på lag” as I move forward. This is going to be so much fun!

10 comments:

  1. Oh my, I love to see the pictures of all you’ve been working on for teaching this class. I wish I could be there to join in, cause I would love to learn about these layering techniques! For now I’m just drooling over your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the rest of the pictures! I’m inspired. Our next Tangled Textiles theme is architecture and I love the way you’ve built your houses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have really enjoyed watching all the projects you have shared over the last few blogs. Such great techniques. Wish I could come to one of your classes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a great time. These look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish I lived nearer! I would love to come!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would SO take your class if I lived there!!! This will be so much fun for your students - everything looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yea! At last we see some whole art works instead of snippets! I would love to take your class. I am fascinated with your design process and materials.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like so much fun, the creativity in the room will be wonderful. I love the layering idea, there will be so many things to try and surprises I think.

    ReplyDelete
  9. For et flott opplegg!! Det blir nok mange ivrige lag-på-lag-syere etter disse kursene. Veldig inspirerende;) -Og jeg skulle gjerne ha vært der! Jeg skal holde foredrag og to kurs på NQF sitt årsmøte i Sarpsborg i mars, så jeg må begynne å tenke på opplegg jeg også;)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.