Wednesday, 29 May 2013

String Fever process

I thought I could share the process that lead to the String Fever quilt top from yesterday’s post.

Unfortunately I don’t have any useable progress pictures as I did not use a design wall, so I have made a few rough sketches for illustrations. They are not to scale in any way.

According to my initial measurements of the long strips of pieced strings, I figured out I would have enough fabric for this layout. The coloured strips are 7 ½” wide (cut 8”), and the light 6” (cut 6 ½”). To make the mid section a square, the length of the strips is 7 ½”*3 - 22 ½” (+ ½” seam allowance).

With the first layout, the strings in the top and bottom borders would go in the other direction than the rest of the quilt, which I did not want, so I changed it to this second layout. As the light strips were about 1 ½” narrower than the coloured, I would need 4 narrower strips in both bottom and top border to fit the measurement of the mid section.

When the mid section and side borders were stitched together

and I started cutting the rest of the strips I discovered that I did not have enough light fabric, it would only take me this far.

So I had to make more fabric and since I had to cut new strings anyway, and substitute all the fabrics I had used up, I cut the strings long enough to make 8” wide strips. I pieced the border strips together

and then the top.

Weird how quick and easy the process looks now compared to the actual time I spent doing this, go figure. I blame all those seam allowances going wild.

Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

  1. Lovely. I have an overflowing box of strings that I should play with sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that bold center with all those summery pastels prints around it. xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is ALWAYS the fault of the seam allowance! I really like the look of the 'box of color' surrounded by the lights.

    ReplyDelete