Wednesday 22 April 2015

The dark side, class No 1

Thank you for all your warm wishes and words of comfort, they were highly appreciated!

I went back to work in my studio today and it was such a relief to hear the happy hum of the sewing machine. I made progress on quilting this project, and attached new bindings on two old quilts. I’ll tell you about those later.

Last week was the first ever run of the “The dark side” class in my studio. It was a first for both the class and the venue. There were three students which gave us plenty of space on the huge conference table in the meeting room.

My samples pinned to a torn strip of Christmas fabric tied to a pipe and the remote control hanger. It worked.
(I just realized that I haven't photographed these properly yet..)

The dark side is quite different from my other classes with the main objective being a 3D piecing technique. Going through the design process, the students also learn how they can make their own 3D designs and calculate the measurements.

The technique in itself is not difficult, and it is so much fun to see the transformation as the projects move along step by step. 

Flannel diapers make great on-the-go design walls. I taped them onto the wall with masking tape, and then we moved them, with all the pieces in place, into the studio at the end of the first day, and back the next day. Wall to wall to wall. A little tip: don't wash or iron the (new) diapers; the fabrics will cling more easily to them when not.

That first ever class is a great teaching tool for myself as well as I get to see how my technique works for others. I am happy to say that it did.


It’s interesting to see how different the projects turn out working from the same blueprint. I’m looking forward to seeing the finished quilted projects.

Next week’s class is fully booked, but there are a few open spots on May 11-12. Just saying.)

5 comments:

  1. such a great start!! Congrats! I'm glad you're back in the studio and hearing the sounds of happiness :) XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. The panels look fantastic, sounds like a great class to be in :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you are back to the MM life. What a great room. I'm assuming it is a shared room in the building with your studio. Your students are turning out some great pieces. Atta Girl.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun. I always enjoy the differences in everyone's work. Nice that you kept your studio and now you can give classes! xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun class project! They look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.