Monday, 5 October 2009

Piece o' cake

I fell in love with these flowers years ago. They are from a Piece o’ cake quilt that was published in American Patchwork and Quilting Magazine. While I usually make my own appliqué designs, this was so perfect that I saved it for later use.

Earlier this year I made 13 blocks with hot pink flowers and teal leaves on green and brown batik backgrounds. The flowers are machine appliquéd using blanket stitches.

The last finished project from these blocks is this table runner, “The flower quartet”, which was finished yesterday; yey, another UFO done!

This table topper,”The flower octet plus one” was finished this spring. The batik fabric in the sashings and binding looked like the perfect match. The strange thing is that the hot pink in the fabric looks more reddish from a distance, but I decided to use it anyway after showing it to my little and very supportive quilting group.

I also used the flowers when I needed a quick thank you gift for the ICU unit where dad was a patient. The staff was so incredible caring and patient with us as well as dad. The layout (2 pieces of fabric and a hole) was so successful, that I decided to use it in my workshop. As far as I know (and I hope I’ll never have to go there again to see it for myself), the quilt, “ICU flowers”, hangs in the ICU in my home town.

2 comments:

  1. I love the contrast of the bright flowers against the muted batiks. This is very nice.

    ReplyDelete