On Tuesday I surprisingly got a day off. Between dropping grandson off at kindergarten around 09:30 and an evening meeting at 19:00, I had the whole day to myself. No plans at all. Whatsoever. After the first excitement settled, thinking of all the things I could have, should have, would have done, I decided not to do any of them. Instead I took at trip here
to the yarn factory outlet and bought alpaca for another sweater for daughter
and knitted a small test sample for her to see the colour combination.
Feet up, telly on, in the middle of the day. Brilliant.
Daughter has approved the colours, but I need to knit another sample on thinner needles to get the right gauge.
Then I spent some happy hours in my sewing room quilting the doll quilts from this post – 7 quilts, 7 different quilting patterns, all done with the walking foot.
I thought I knew how to finish them off easily, but it did not work out, so instead I dug out readymade bias tape in different colours – one colour for each quilt.
To spruce them up a bit, I decided to use one of the decorative stitches on my machine, and it worked well - for a couple of inches. Every now and then my machine would zig but not zag. I tried everything; all sizes of needles, rethreading, rewinding, recleaning, but with no luck. Finally I gave in and let the zags skip wherever they wanted.
I was almost done when I remembered one of my other machines probably would have the same stitch and it did. Why didn’t I think of taking pictures of settings years ago; it would have saved me a few trials & errors when picking up where I left off.
The last two bindings were done perfectly; zigging and zagging on all the right places.
Oh well, the dolls won’t care.