Monday, 18 March 2013

Tea Towel Take 6 (?): Border 2 in progress

The deadline for finishing the Tea towel challenge is at the end of this month, and although I won’t be able to do the quilting by then with Easter coming up and all, I still want to have the top finished. The quilt is to be a medallion quilt with as many or few borders as we like. My plan is two borders (first one here), but this second border will hopefully be a two-for-one border, so maybe 2 and a half...

To have lots of options both size- and colour wise, I made approx 60 jagged border units. None of them are alike, but they will be cut into 3 different lengths as the borders will be 6”, 7” and 8” (finished width).

I did not audition the units on the design wall (flannel backed vinyl table cloth) first, which was a mistake. Although the first right side border looked fine at first,

I noticed how much defined the pattern was on the left border, and how washed out some of the units on the right looked in comparison.

Not wanting to make the same mistake again, I auditioned my replacement units before I did the actual rip/restitch work.

Aaah, so much better!

Top border; I’ll replace the corners, but I’m very happy with how the jagged pattern comes to life.

And bottom border without corners.

I’ll switch the top and bottom borders as it seems a bit off balance, and I’ll have to work out how to do the corners. I have an idea though; I'll keep you posted on how that works out, but for now I'm just enjoying the process very much indeed.

Thanks for stopping by!


  1. So much for the eye to see. I am amazed that you can take an idea in your head and transfer it to a quilt. I seem to always just follow the pattern or combine a couple of patterns together.

  2. That border is amazing. Love how attention getting it is!

  3. i've enjoyed watching this project come along; seeing it in various stages and then seeing them placed together on the design wall . . . just very inspiring~!!~