Our guild meeting last night was as always fun. Being a small group with only 8 members makes it easy to chat while we are happily stitching the night away, which is brilliant as the social aspect is just as important as the quilting part.
I did a lot of prep work before the meeting. 40 squares; 1 from each fabric. What was I thinking. As my 8 year old Kona solid stash consists of ½ yard cuts (some of them already cut into), I did not want to cut the full width of the fabric so I cut chunks instead.
Time consuming, yes, worth it, yes, good looking, oh yes.
This is how I wish my whole stash would look like. This little newly ironed, neatly folded stack is sticking out like a sore thumb on top of the rest of the non-organized addendum to my stash. Oh well.
I was trying out a new (to me) type of block and made a paper test block to see how the size and cuts worked out.
Half way through stitching the blocks I knew the colour scheme would not look like I imagined, but I still liked the way the blocks turned out. I spread them out on a table and a couple of my friends and I had fun playing with them, trying out different ideas.
I had a look at them again this morning, decided on a layout, and started trimming the blocks to the desired measurements. A couple of post-it notes on the ruler made the cutting easier
on all but one block. I was getting sloppy I guess, and the block ended up ½” too narrow.
In my defense, cutting rectangles going this way and that from square blocks is quite a challenge, so one miss out of 40 is not bad at all I’d say.
Blocks ready to sew into rows.
There are quite a few chucky seam allowances so I have pressed the seams between the blocks open. I still have to press the long seams joining the rows, but for now the top is draped over a chair while I am thinking about which thread I will use for quilting.
I'm thinking something orange.
Now to bed; our young ones are early birds even with daylight saving time.
Thanks for stopping by!