Wednesday 11 September 2013

Kvist class at Rennesøy

One sure sign of a new season coming upon us is the start of the fall quilting classes. My first class of the season was at Rennesøy Husflidslag yesterday, teaching a small but wonderful Kvist class.

Rennesøy is an island north of Stavanger, connected to the mainland by a chain of bridges and sub-fjord tunnels, the longest approx 6km. I’ll admit to not being a big fan of tunnels, and even less so of the subsea ones, but with Creative Mojo on the car stereo, I was there in no time at all. Thanks to Mr Lipinski who makes time fly even when I drive shoulder-up-to-the-ear style.

You would think that I would have been travelling lightly for the small class, but the things you bring to small classes are surprisingly very much the same as for the big ones. You’ve got the samples, the kits in all colour ways and quite a few extras just in case, the rainbow of spare fabric pieces, and the battings and the backings and extras of the extras. Of course I don’t leave home without copies of my book (would you?) and a few patterns and samples for other evening classes because as long as you’re already there you might as well use the opportunity to show samples of your work. Yup, I travel heavily.

With only two students, the atmosphere was intimate and friendly and very enjoyable. The painting with fiber classes are awesome to teach. With both techniques and materials being unusual, we get to break all the rules and just have fun. And of course, just like magic, the results turn out gorgeously every time!
 
 
I did not get any end of the class shots as the class had to come to an abrupt end for us to catch the next convoy back home. Yes indeed, I drove in my first convoy ever last night. They are doing maintenance on the tunnels so they basically close them at night, only leading slow speed convoys through at specific times, prolonging the joy of subsea tunnel driving. Ah, the joy of living by the fjords.

Anyway, thank you ladies for the lovely evening, and I’m looking forward to seeing the finished results!

4 comments:

  1. I am sure they enjoyed so much having that extra quality time with your. Lovely work they are producing. xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also looking forward to see those finished - look very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I could have taken that class, Sounds like a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the look of the mini art works being made. Wish you didn't have so much inconvenience for the project.
    You are a very dedicated teacher!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.