Thursday 3 October 2013

Mark stitch stitch

Marking lines on dark fabrics can be difficult, so I tried out a few tools that all should be working. A mechanical pencil, a Clover white marker (which I have previously used on loosely woven dark blue wool very successfully), a blue fabric pencil and a Hera marker.


Of the 4, only the Hera marker would create visible lines, so Hera marker it is. I have forgotten how the lines are to be removed. Water? Steam? Need to be washed?

I am also working my way through stitching ideas Goldilock style. Silver machine embroidery thread (top left)? Too thin. Mouline floss (top right)? Too thick. The blue-greyish thread that I use all the time (bottom left)? Perfect.

The random seed stitching plan is out though. I had forgotten how much work it is to get those stitches looking truly random-ish, so I'll be going for a more repetitive pattern.

The next stitches to be determined are cross stitches. I haven't found the right size and spacing yet, but I trust that I'll know what's right when I see it.
 

I'd better get on with my stitching. Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I just got hera marker and tried it for the first time. It made lines but they didn't last very well. Fabrics are quilting cottons. I guess I need to exercise and learn the way to use it well. Your stitching testing looks exiting! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep hearing good things about the hera marker. Good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your random stitches, but can see that it would drive me to drink to do that very much.
    I don't know from markers. I've used papers to quilt through, and that's as close to marking as I have gotten. Doesn't the Hera marker only make impressions? Do they stay on the quilt long enough to quilt a decent sized piece? Can't wait to see what you are quilting.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.