Wednesday 23 March 2016

Improving: Floating squares

One of my goals this year is to learn new things. I know I do new things all the time, but those are things I think of myself. Now I would like to learn from other people’s processes too. I first noticed a book reading up on Audrey’s blog Quilty Folk where she was working on improve quilting techniques, and the book kept popping up at other blogs as well -The Improv Handbook for Modern Quilters by Sherri Lynn Wood. 

Improv quilting has not really been much on my radar, but it looked like fun, so I ordered the book and invited two of my friends who I knew would like to play along to join me in a study circle. I haven’t done any of those since I was a student, but I used to love group work, and thought it would be much more fun to do it together.

We had our first meeting this weekend, and agreed on some guidelines for our first score – the Floating squares.
Fabric 1: 12”*12”
Fabric 2: 12”*20”
Filler fabric: Unlimited
All of Fabrics 1 and 2 to be used up.

It was such a fun exercise, not using a ruler and all. It is safe to say that my cuts got straighter during the process, and the result is surprisingly flat. I was expecting to struggle a bit with the not thinking ahead part as my brain automatically makes order out of chaos starting organizing and calculating things, but I managed to work rather freely.

We'll meet again in a couple of weeks to evaluate the process and plan the next score. This is going to be a fun journey!

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.