I have wanted to make a portrait ever since I saw some fabulous portrait quilts in QNM by Therese May years ago. I started working on one for daughter’s 17 birthday (which would be more than 6 years ago; really; has it been that long??) using one of my favourite pictures of her. She had been eating red gum so she was showing off her bright red tongue. I drew a sketch, and a pattern, and all the pieces onto fusible web. Unfortunately I ran out of time and had to go with plan B – using an iron on transfer sheet for T shirts.
I printed the photo in black & white onto the transfer sheet and ironed it onto white fabric. I’m really thankful for printer fabric so I won’t have to do that again… I used fabric markers to colour the eyes and tongue and added a little more colour and texture with free motion quilting. Yep; that’s her eyelashes, no exaggeration there. The photo was hard to quilt; the texture was rough and gumlike, it was difficult to see the lines (hence the uneven eyes…), and every stitch made a permanent hole that made unstitching unsuccessful.
This is going to be so much fun! My brain is buzzing with ideas; we made it through the first meeting this week and I’m sooo ready to play!