Sunday 25 October 2009

Recycling quilt

The theme for show & tell at our guild meeting last week was “recycling”, so I brought this old quilt:
There is no quilting fabric in it, just recycled fabric from a thrift store and some scraps of sheets and one fabric that is a cotton/polyester blend.

When I first started quilting (after the whole IKEA quilting extravaganza), I bought lots of curtains, bed sheets and tablecloths at the Salvation Army thrift shop for experimenting. For some (probably good at the time) reason, I cut most of them into 6 ½” squares. There was some advanced math and recutting involved to get the heart blocks right, but it all worked out in the end.

The purple fabrics are 2 different bed sheets that have been dyed in the washing machine together. The backing is another second hand bedsheet. I have used a polyester batting, which makes the quilt so soft and cuddly.


And on the recycling theme; remember my New Blog's Resolution? As of last Wednesday, I have now recycled 100 quilting magazines; that’s a considerable stack of magazines! I am really pleased getting rid of them, and my guild, group and board members are just as pleased. Win, win, win…

9 comments:

  1. Flott teppe. Artig når man har brukt slike gamle stoffer og laget noe ut av. Dette er vi altfor lite flinke til egentlig. Og litt av en fangst det ble - shopping = :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice quilt, I really like the colors. Good for you to let go of your quilting magazines. I haven't quite gotten to the point yet where I can let mine go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilt looks good Nina. I would have never known you made it from recycled fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your quilt. You are so clever. I wish I had thought about using recycled fabrics for my first attempts, most of which ended up...well, I don't remember where they are, leave it to say I'm embarrassed to say I did them. I really like the way you put these fabrics together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great quilt. I love the purple. I started out mostly on fabrics from my Mom. Love all the skeins of pearl cotton.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too recycled a lot of my old quilting magazines after tearing out a few things I knew for sure (maybe) I would make someday. It was hard to part with them but so nice to see room for more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice, I think I love every quilt I see. I some today in a shop with polyester and I do not care for those.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a wonderful quilt! Although polyester and other fabric blends can sometimes be hard to work with, I love to look at quilts made with just about anything!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a pretty quilt. And it is fun to see how much you have learned and changed in those years, a long journey...

    ; )

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.