Monday 28 December 2009

Let It Go, Let It Grow

Last night I finally got started on my Christmas hand sewing project. I prepared it for (all...) my down time during the holidays, but it was left alone in its sad little plastic bag.It’s a piece of bright orange-red linen which I got from a fellow member in my guild. It has been washed and ironed, and sewn to a piece of batting with unevenly spaced lines by machine. I picked lots of skeins of pearl cotton yarn from this post, and the plan is to hand quilt the piece.

Last night, when I was sitting in front of the TV with my feet up, I took it out, cut some pieces of yarn and started hand quilting. Some of the stitches were uneven, so I unpicked them. Doing so, I thought, what if I just leave all the little mistakes there, and let the piece grow any way it wants to? What if they are not mistakes, but a part of the design? I do most of my work more or less this way, but wouldn’t it be nice to just let go?

So my challenge to myself is to Let It Go and Let It Grow.
Here’s how far it grew last night
If you would like to join me, feel free to use the image.

9 comments:

  1. It is such a great idea. I find myself doing so much reverse stitching when I should just allow myself to let it grow. I am going to grab the button and try harder this year.

    I love your project. The linen and the threads are in my favorite colors.

    Would you believe my word verification is "makeit"??????? Think that is a hint for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nina, I love your color selection.
    Are you just quilting that lovely piece of fabric?
    I struggle with DMC floss and quilting. It hurts my fungers. any advise?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That’s an interesting project, I’m an orange-lover! Let it go - let it grow... good luck! Can’t wait to see your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nogle rigtig skønne farver, orange er en af mine favorit farver, den er varm og dejlig, har du fået lavet din pakke til Erosion Bundle Projekt ?, jeg har lige hængt min ud, spændende at se hvad det ender op med. Godt nytår.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let it go, Let it grow....very good advice! Your work is beautiful!!! A very Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great advice, I'm just not sure if my inner voice would let me do it. LOL. I'll have to give it a try. Love your fabric and floss color choices.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea and I like how it's growing so far!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mistakes?? No such thing! Our stitches are like our handwriting -- marks that come straight from us and put our personalities right down on the page (or the fabric). It is so much more relaxing and pleasurable when you just go with it and see what happens. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your Christmas hand project. Me too prepared my hand project and sadly it sat in the zip-locked bag until now LOL! DGD took all my spare time, but it worth it. We are enjoying the visit - Happy New Year - Hugs Nat

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.