Friday, 23 March 2012

The Sketchbook Challenge, March

Flowers, flowers, flowers. After a grey winter we’re enjoying the first bright yellow crocuses popping up, so flowers was the perfect theme for March. I made these sketches on Sunday while grandson was here. I find that I’m much more likely to sit down and draw and paint when he’s here, so I have been taking advantage of that.

For the first sketch I used the blue painted watercolour paper from this post. I drew simple flowers with a white marker,

and outlined them with black. There was so much texture on the page already that I did not add anything else.


The background for the other sketch is a sheet of ordinary copy paper where I had splashed on remaining paint from other projects. I had a lot of fun with this, taking it from “oh, ok”

to “what did I do!!!”

to “wow, how did I do that?”

By the time I was done I was afraid that the page would dissolve completely, but it held up and I managed to cut it to size and glue it into my sketchbook. I find it very liberating working in a medium that is totally unfamiliar to me and I can do whatever I please as I have absolutely no expectations regarding the outcome. I will certainly play with the technique I used to create the light in this sketch – if I can remember what I did.

Have a wonderful weekend, the weather forecast here is sun, sun and sun!

5 comments:

  1. I would never have guessed you are not familiar with this medium! I love all the sketches you made!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are delightful. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Have you seen the melted crayon art? I'm sure you could master that too.

    ReplyDelete