Friday 23 March 2012

The Sketchbook Challenge, March

Flowers, flowers, flowers. After a grey winter we’re enjoying the first bright yellow crocuses popping up, so flowers was the perfect theme for March. I made these sketches on Sunday while grandson was here. I find that I’m much more likely to sit down and draw and paint when he’s here, so I have been taking advantage of that.

For the first sketch I used the blue painted watercolour paper from this post. I drew simple flowers with a white marker,

and outlined them with black. There was so much texture on the page already that I did not add anything else.


The background for the other sketch is a sheet of ordinary copy paper where I had splashed on remaining paint from other projects. I had a lot of fun with this, taking it from “oh, ok”

to “what did I do!!!”

to “wow, how did I do that?”

By the time I was done I was afraid that the page would dissolve completely, but it held up and I managed to cut it to size and glue it into my sketchbook. I find it very liberating working in a medium that is totally unfamiliar to me and I can do whatever I please as I have absolutely no expectations regarding the outcome. I will certainly play with the technique I used to create the light in this sketch – if I can remember what I did.

Have a wonderful weekend, the weather forecast here is sun, sun and sun!

5 comments:

  1. I would never have guessed you are not familiar with this medium! I love all the sketches you made!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are delightful. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great design for a quilt I see here!!! xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Have you seen the melted crayon art? I'm sure you could master that too.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.