Friday 19 March 2010

Experiments with Cloth

3 more table cloth experiments are finished.

The two Lutradur pictures from this post turned into these two small wall hangings, one for the proud mother, and one for the proud grandparents.

“Red noses”
“Grey noses”
I used linen cloths for both and absolutely love how the structure and lines show through the pictures.
I had planned to quilt them but just quilted around the noses on the black & white piece and left the rest unquilted.

The Lutradur was fun and easy to work with. It’s quite stiff, and I did not iron it enough to set the colours (guess I was afraid to melt it), but I will use it again. I think it would be perfect for adding words and details instead of free motion stitching them. Have any of you used it for bags and know how well it stands up to wear and moisture?


“Four”
The third piece is made from a linen cloth which has a burlap feel to it. The fibres are very stiff and short, and it stretches out of shape very easily. I tried to stabilize it with a fusible batting, but it did not stick.

Super simple; adding a piece of lime organza to the sandwich and quilting through all the layers. The textures look so great together.

This little guy is one of my favourite shapes. Am I the only one who falls in love with a shape and use it in different ways and fabrics and sizes?

Now I’ll pop over and add this to Amylou’s Sew & Tell, pick some table cloths for tomorrows Table Cloth Challenge post, and start working on the topic of today’s Friday Night Sew-in – the dreaded silk from this post. Wish me luck!

14 comments:

  1. Love all the experiments--kinda like brainstorming with fabric. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Nina, you come up with the most creative and original creations! I love all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look great. It is always fun to challenge yourself with new projects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need some more textures in my stash. I mostly just have quilting fabric, but all these textures look so great together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, so creative! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's just like recess. It was great fun seeing what you played with this week!
    Blessings,
    KT

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always look forward to seeing what you have created this week. You never disappoint. Always wonderfully creative.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are always trying new things and they are just so cool! These project is just so sweet and love the effect in both pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. these look so great. i love the use of pictures in the pieces you made.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Nina Lise

    What is Lutrador? I love the effect of the different textures.

    Hugs, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm loving the all of the textures! The organza is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You always have such inovative projects.... love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. They all look great! Love the "Four" piece! Really cool. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.