Wednesday 24 February 2010

Off the Couch

I’m getting a bit bored here, coughing on my couch. Except for Friday Night Sew In I have not spent much time by my machine. Still, some things are moving along nicely:

My Big Bag of Binding has got a new place to live, and is now the Big Box of Binding. Daughter wished for the Marimekko dishware for grandson for Christmas promising me the box if I got it for him. She sure knows how to work me:-)

My new sewing machine does not have an upright spool holder, so Deelybob has been resting. Instead I found my favourite jug in the cupboard. The spout is not good for pouring, so it does not get much use. It’s glass, so it’s sturdy. Hey – it’s the perfect cone holder; I put it behind the machine, and it works like a charm.

I have been putting together unlikely fabric combinations; loving the result and dreading to start quilting it. Does that ever happen to you – you like the top so much that you are afraid to ruin it by quilting?

Adding hand stitching to my Seeing Circles project; it was missing something.

I have started testing the free motion capabilities of the new machine on my little Japanese birdies. No ear piercing sounds; no problems; no worries; all good.

Finally, spending so much time on the couch I have (almost) finished the Funky Fowl and Kule Fugler patterns, and am making progress on the English version of Flower Bouquet. My plan was to sew another sample so I could get better pictures, but that’s not going to happen soon, so I’ll go with what I already have.

Now, I need to get out of the house already…

11 comments:

  1. As usual, I love all that you are creating, but the Japanese birdy is especially charming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I often hate to start the quilting process after finishing the top.

    I hope you are feeling better soon. I can imagine how housebound you must feel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I brought my first child home from the hospital in a little marimekko outfit. I love that look, and what I wouldn't do for a marimekko box!
    The Japanese bird is absolutely lovely.
    Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Marimekko box and I have totally fallen in love with your Japanese birds. So cute!

    I love making quilt-tops, I dread the basting and the quilting. Result: lots of tops waiting for me.
    That’s why I love making table-runners so much!

    I hope you will be on the mend soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you´re feeling better soon.

    I love the Marimekko box and your japanese bird is cute.

    Warm hug

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing, I thought I invented the beautiful glass jar spool holder thing. Just last week after 3 years of frustration. Right on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The fabric combination is interesting, can't wait to see it done, very organic and abstract too. Love the circles and the hand stitching gives it so much depth. Your birdies are adorable...

    ReplyDelete
  8. " Does that ever happen to you – you like the top so much that you are afraid to ruin it by quilting?"

    Constantly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the circles. Just needs a little more embellishment. Your hand quilting is fantastic. Hope you're feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking good! What type of machine have you ended up with? The japanese birds have a wonderful shape and colour!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So, so sorry to read you are coughing and sick. Get well soon prayers and wishes are floating your way.

    Love your circles and birds. Yes, yes, I feel the same way about being afraid of ruining a piece by quilting.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.